Wordle: Kim

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thing #11

I found LibraryThing very interesting and fairly easy to use. I set up an account and quickly added 5 books. I checked out some of the groups. I found the one about challenged books for 2010 very interesting. I feel as a future librarian who will probably end up in a junior or high school library that this group could be very helpful. It could keep me informed as to what books are being challenged. I already have a Shelfari account set up and I've been using it so I'm partial to that site. I created a group for my students so that we can share information about books. What I really like about Shelfari is that you create a virtual bookshelf where people can see what you are reading, what you have read and what you want to read. I think that this is useful because my students can keep up with my reading. If there is a reluctant reader out there they can check out my shelf and maybe find a book that they will like. My avid readers are a huge help to me because they keep me up to date with the current titles. This also allows me to have something to talk with them about during the school day. Which every site you decide to use is up to you but I do feel sites like this are very important and helpful to teachers and librarians.

2 comments:

  1. Kim,

    I agree with you regarding Shelfari, obviously, since I did my group presentation on it. I found that LibraryThing was not as user friendly, or as visually appealing. What do you think? Also, what do you mean when you say, "It could keep me informed as to what books are being challenged."?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    You are the one who first introduced me to Shelfari so thanks! I do love it. LibraryThing has a group which discusses books which have been challenged. I thought this would be interesting to check out because from time to time we do have parents that tend to challenge some of the books the kids read.

    ReplyDelete